Saturday 19 October 2013

Welcome to the Blog

    Welcome to my new blog, Supporting Women's Football. My aim is to in my own small way help to promote the sport as so many other fans do so well in various guises and media throughout the land. Although growing the women's game still lacks the mainstream media coverage it deserves and the more coverage it can get the better in my opinion.
    A little bit about myself then and why I am so passionate about the sport,a bloke in his thirties from Norfolk born and raised. My first taste of women's football came back in 2005 when the England team played Iceland in a friendly at Carrow Road (oh my god This is going to be a long introduction!) I can hear you cry. I was asked to go by a colleague at work and thought it would be interesting, was curious to see how good they were. I liked it, was impressed by the standard of play and passion. After that however I only really followed from a far my interest peaking at major tournaments because it was only then the team got a mention.
    Fast forwards to the 2011 World Cup, I got right behind the team played some good football but alas we lost to France on penalties. However that was the year the WSL (Women's Super League) was born and I decided I should take a look at this new league as it resumed after its summer break. Bearing in mind I live in Norfolk it was a case of taking a look at the teams and seeing what was what. My favourite women's footballer of all time was playing for Everton at the time but for little travelled me that wasn't really practical, looking at the miles I've covered since then mind supporting women's football I have to wonder why?
   Anyway Lincoln Ladies were the nearest a mere 72 miles, they had Sue Smith, Casey Stoney and Sophie Bradley in their squad and the visitors were Birmingham I thought this would be a great place to start. Off to Ashby Avenue I went without sun cream and stood by the pitch getting burnt as I witnessed a spirited 1-1 draw, really liked the home team and the work they put in to secure a point against what was a very good Birmingham side, liked the little blonde terrier/batting ram in midfield, Remi Allen and the feisty leftback from Harrogate who gave the linesman nothing but grief from start to finish, Rachel Daly and thus my passion for the ladyimps and women's football was truly awakened and I haven't looked back since.
    In creating the Supporting Women's Football blog I hope to cover as many levels of the sport as I can from the upper reaches of the WSL all the way down to the grass roots level of my home county of Norfolk. Therefore I will be all over the place (probably getting wet a lot) attending matches and reporting back to you on proceedings and any other topical news regarding women's football that might be of interest it'll keep me out of trouble if nothing else. I will always welcome comments and debate positive or negative on here or on my Twitter feed @GilharrenD and maybe if someone out there has got something they would like me to write about within the sport then feel free to let me know I will certainly consider it. I will do my best to regulary update I'm new to this blogging experience so will be learning as I go along but I am certainly excited by this new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment